The Moments After A Water Loss...
Did your home just suffer a loss due to a backed up sump-pump or burst pipe? What happens after a water loss can be crucial, and be the difference between restoring and replacing. In order to prevent any further damage in your home, here are some helpful tips:
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of laps and table top items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushion for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in the summer.
- Oriental rugs or other colored rugs from wet wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Remove valuable paintings and art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Open and place luggage in sunlight to dry if possible.
- Gather loose items, toys, etc. from floors.
Remember, time is critical when it comes to water damage. So call SERVPRO of West Seneca/Lancaster immediately at (716) 674-1103 to begin mitigation work as soon as possible. After a water loss it is important to NEVER:
- Leave wet fabrics in place; dry as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors.
- Use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Use TV or other household appliances while standing on wet carpet or floors (especially not on wet concrete floors).
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Also, be sure to bring a professional restoration company, like SERVPRO of West Seneca/Lancaster, in to make sure that everything is dried completely and properly. Leaving water damage over a period of time can cause many issues such as secondary damages and mold. So if you just had a water loss in your home call the professionals at SERVPRO of West Seneca/Lancaster a call at (716) 674-1103 today.